Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Controversial Ulty Blog

"Now this looks like a job for me
So everybody, just follow me
Cause we need a little, controversy
Cause it feels so empty, without me."
Without Me - Eminem

As mentioned in past posts, I enjoy reading other ulty blogs. Beside Steve's superior blog (which you should be reading instead of these ramblings), another local ulty blog is located on the Ottawa open program's website, and is written by Phoenix player Mike Wronski (aka "M-W" or "The Polish Prince"). I'll preface all subsequent comments by saying that I had the pleasure of playing with Mike once when he captained my team in the 2007 men's indoor spring tune-up tournament, and he's an amazing player and teacher.

Mike wrote an interesting post a few months ago as Ottawa open tryouts were winding down (this post has recently been deleted), and I remember wondering if he was referring to any player in particular, or just making general comments about players trying out for different teams and committing after finding out which teams they made. Since Mike seemed like a nice guy during our brief encounter, I assumed the latter. Like so many of my assumptions, turns out I was completely wrong.

The post was directed to one player in particular, who had tried out for both open and mixed, and decided to play for the mixed team after he was offered spots in both programs. Apparently he was offered a spot on Firebird (the open "B" team), but chose to play for BFC (the mixed "A" team) instead. Of course Mike's open team-mates commented supporting his "controversial" post.

My primary disagreement with Mike's reasoning is that there is nothing wrong with keeping your options open in ulty (and life), and then evaluating choices in an objective manner. Weighing the pros and cons of different options shows sound judgment and wisdom, not weakness. I agree with Mike that commitment is an important character trait, but disagree when it comes to committing to something prematurely.

Knowing the player who was the target of the post makes me question Mike' motivation for writing it. The player is friendly and easygoing. I'd hope that Mike at least confronted the player in person before writing the post. I'd also hope that Mike put himself in the shoes of the player in question, since not everyone has Mike's skills and abilities. Lastly, I'd hope Mike chose his words carefully, as I'd tend to disagree with him in that the player in question is a difference maker for any team (even Phoenix) and does indeed "piss excellence".

Open ulty isn't for everyone. As indicated in a previous post, one of my personal reasons for not pursuing this option (rather than my lack of skills, speed, talent, etc.) is the testosterone that seems to be dominate the division. Despite my experiences that lead me to believe that the large majority of open players are great guys off the field, knowing the story behind the post only furthers my opinion of the open division as being a glorified pissing contest.

Unlike Mike's post, this isn't meant to be controversial. It's simply my humble attempt to defend an awesome player who didn't deserve to be slighted. I'm happy that the player in question chose to play on BFC this year. The team's success and his own success demonstrate that he made the right decision. Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: