“Don’t call it a comeback!”
LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
"To give anything less than your best, is the sacrifice the gift."
- Steve Prefontaine
It's not a comeback, this is it. No encores, even if you scream til your lungs are sore. The last couple weeks have been an emotional roller-coaster for me, from the highs of getting a shot to try out with the 'A team', to the lows of finishing a craptacular last place in the "fast heat" sprints in the last tryout. This time last night, I drafted an email to my blogging idol asking him if he'd except me in his men's league this summer.... in case I didn't get offerred a roster spot.
About 8pm tonight, I got a call from captain Sandra offerring me a coveted spot on Fish. The relief I felt was amazing. I accomplished one of my three ultimate goals for 2009...but have lots of hard work ahead of me in to accomplish the second of going to nationals with Fish. Luckily, I'm going to have some great team-mates to help me acheive goal #2.
Since this is the last entry, I have to thank a bunch of people for helping me improve. If they don't get around to seeing the entry before I archive the blog...it'll just give me more incentive to thank them in person.
Gav, Julie, Jer, and Sandra: Thank you for giving me a chance to play with and learn from such an amazing group of people. For giving me an opportunity last year at Regionals, I owe all of you a debt I could never repay.
BigFish 2008 Team-mates: Thanks for accepting me as part of the team, even when I wasn’t last year. I don’t play ultimate to make friends, but I’d be willing to go to war for each and every one of you. Love you guys.
My Family: Thanks for understanding when I tell you that I can’t make an event cause I’m playing frisbee. I know I’m not the most consistent son, brother, or uncle, but I thank god for you every day.
Workout Partners: You guys push me to be better than I am. Thanks to you I’ve set so many PBs in the gym this year, that I would have lost count if not for my purple workout journal ;-)
KJ / Michelle / TK: Without you, I wouldn’t have made the roster this summer.
Dave Foley: Best damn physiotherapist in Ottawa.
The Hammers: You guys let me do whatever I wanted this winter, even in games where it cost us. Hope you had much fun developing as I did.
Coach Boss: Your tips were awesome. Good luck with Stella this summer.
Captains Stu and Cory: Without you, I never would have played smart enough to get offered my spot on the practice roster last summer.
Coach Gord: Every time I flick, and it isn’t a huge O/I blade, I owe it to you.
Unofficial Coach GLUM: I know you yell because you care, and I thank you for caring enough to yell at me so often.
Mahatma – Thanks for continuing to give me opportunities that I don’t deserve.
Statuesque Spence & Man crush Reza: Thanks for tips....and the fuel. Vendetta! ;-)
Marko: Thanks for the laughs…
Poached Motelers – Thanks for letting me experiment on the field last summer. We’re going to MOTHER-f-ing kick ass this summer!
Urban Sprawlers – Thanks for letting me try crazy stuff on the field. Best wishes this summer. Go Grapes!
Employees of the Month - Not sure I've ever had as much fun and learned as much as when I played with you guys. Thanks for the good times.
The Finishing Movers: Thanks for reminding me that frisbee is about having fun. If given the opportunity to play with any of you again, I’d jump at it.
Pistol Pete – Two years ago you taught me how to backhand without traveling. I owe half of my game to you. You’ll always be my handling idol.
Sparkles – Thanks for pushing me in the gym. I admire your work ethic more than you’ll ever know.
Mr Two Pointer – You’ve been my measuring stick on the ulty pitch for the past year. If I’ve made any progress in closing the gap, blame yourself!
G-star – As much as P-Star has shaped my physical game, you have shaped my mental game. I have no idea what I’ll do this summer when you’re gone…it scares me.
Before you accuse me of being emo, I’d like to say “Atoadaso!” I might be in over my head this summer on the Fish roster, but I love challenges…and can’t wait to prove myself every practice, every point, every game, and every tournament. There won’t be any next times, since this is the final entry of my ultimate blogging journey, but I wish you all happy hucking!
James King
May 5, 2009
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment