"Mind is everything.
Muscle - mere pieces of rubber.
All that I am, I am because of my mind."
- Paavo Nurmi (multiple time Olympic gold medalist in distance running)
After Thursday's circuit training that Tom set up at BF practice, he sent out a note Friday explaining what to do if we were sore, or if we felt fine. It was the latter part that interested me, since Tom is obviously in fantastic shape, and I wanted to know what kind of workouts he does on down days. Although I won't share his specific tactics here, needless to say, the guy has an incredible (and scary) workout regime.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm nowhere close to Tom when it comes to working out, and that I eat a lot of crap. Having said that, I thought I'd share what I currently do with everyone. It's taken me some time to iron out my routine this summer, and it's subject to change as priorities change. The elements are grouped under headings, instead of days, since weather and circumstances dictate when I find time to fit this in the typical week.
Cardio
- Three runs a week, including a long run (30 minutes +). Going forward, since I feel my cardio base is finally strong enough, I'll incorporate one speed run (interval/fartlek/tempo) as one of the three days.
- Ultimate four days a week. Even handling on Friday and Monday nights, I still seem to be doing a lot of running.
- Stationary biking as an alternative to running, especially while injured/overly sore.
Core Work
- Ball routine twice a week. This is a 20 minute ball workout that combines two sets of physiotherapy exercises that were prescribed back in December for my sports hernia.
- Sit-ups and band routine twice a week. Another physiotherapy carry-over that consists of 25 sit-ups to each side, 25 with arms crossed, 25 with arms relaxed, and 25 reverse sit-ups holding in a boatman sit's position for 3 seconds. The band work is done with a blue band (medium resistance) and is 25 sidekicks, 25 cross-over kicks, 25 low front kicks, 25 back kicks, and 25 high front kicks.
- Whatever core work Tom decides to give us at BF practice (I'm a big fan of the "planks")
Weights
- At least 3 days a week (Sunday, Wednesday, and usually Friday) I hit the gym at work to do about 30 minutes of lifting. I do at least six of the exercises below, with the focus (four or more of the six exercises) on arms/chest.
- 3 sets of 20 reps of single arm curls (25 lbs)
- 3 sets of 20 reps of paint brushes (15 lbs)
- 3 sets of 10 reps of wrist curls (25 lbs)
- 3 sets of 10 reps of inverted wrist curls (20 lbs)
- 3 sets of 20 reps of single arm rows (30 lbs)
- 3 sets of 10 reps of squats (50 lbs + bar)
- 3 sets of 10 reps of lateral pulldowns (120 lbs)
- 3 sets of 10 reps of bench press or inclined bench press (150 lbs)
- 3 sets of 10 reps on sitting bench press (100 lbs)
- 3 sets of 10 reps of leg press (220 lbs)
- 3 sets of 12 reps of back extensions (100 lbs)
- 3 sets of 12 reps squeezing in on the "birthing machine" (100 lbs) (laugh all you want, it's great for my stabilizing muscles)
Stretching
- BF warm-up and cool-down stretches on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I try to do a few BF cool-down stretches after Monday and Friday games, but my team-mates generally give me grief for looking crazy.
- 30 minute physiotherapist recommended core stretching routine at least 3 days a week
- 5 minute physiotherapist recommended plantar facitis stretching routine at least 4 days a week.
It's a big committment for me to keep up the routine, but I find it's really paying dividends. For instance, I played hookie on Poached Motel this week, and subbed for my former low-tier team from last summer (the Berts and Ernies)...let's just say that the other team had no answer for my Berkley cuts, continuation cuts, and strikes on turns...all of which are direct results of the fitness routine. Don't get me wrong, even the least fit guy playing Open could run me into the ground....but I'm still happy with where I'm at given my multiple injuries last winter. Until next time, happy hucking!
Monday, June 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment