"Let me show you what it's like beyond your fantasy"
- Timbaland (Fantasy)
If you ever find yourself bored while watching a game of ultimate (impossible, no?), the contents of this post might come in handy. Fantasy ultimate was brought to my attention during my first outdoor tournament (Spirit 2007) by a random team-mate of mine (Stacie something). Although I'm sure there are various versions, I'll explain the variation I'm most familiar with below.
Each fantasy ultimate player (you need at least two, but more people = more fun) pick an actual ultimate player on each team for a given point. Some versions require you to pick a male and a female if it's a mixed game. If one of your players does something…I have to search for the right word here…noteworthy / fancy / cool / impressive you earn a point. On the other hand, if one of your players does something…stupid / amusingly wrong / embarrassing / Nurple-eseque (that's the right word!) you lose a point. After a point is scored, the fantasy ultimate players must pick different offensive and defensive players for the next point, but can pick their original players for the subsequent point. The fantasy ultimate game can go up to a certain score, or just follow the actual game and the highest score wins when the actual game is over.
The most interesting aspect of fantasy ultimate from my perspective is ultimate player selection. Although I respect ultimate players who are solid, smart, and mistake-free, I enjoy watching inconsistent players such as myself who regularly mix the spectacular with the stupid. For example, I have no qualms about laying out for a D (+1 fantasy ultimate point) as long as I'm not playing in the Carleton Carpetdome. On the other hand, after catching a layout D, there's a relatively good chance I'll stand up and throw the disc out of the back of the endzone (-1 fantasy ultimate point), or blade a forehand 20 yards to the right of my intended receiver (-1 fantasy ultimate point).
My brief experience playing fantasy ultimate this winter indicates that picking the inconsistent players is more rewarding than picking the solid players. Knowing I've been bet on by some fantasy ultimate veterans supports my theory of picking inconsistent players. Solid players rarely attempt the types of throws / catches / defensive plays that earn points.
Another interesting quandary relating to player selection is male vs. female players in mixed games. Although you might THINK that guys are more likely to doing something remarkable, don't underestimate the fairer sex. A couple of obvious examples pop into my mind. One of my ex winter team-mates (and former Fish) played smothering defense, and put more effort into defensive points than I do into games. Another lady I competed against on Friday night last winter…pretty sure her name was Draza…could toss textbook hammers that would almost make Mike "Hammers" Jones jealous. Which reminds me, picking players who are known for hammers is a winning strategy for fantasy ultimate. Lastly, there's this one lady on Fish, who I've almost called by her OHUA nickname that I gave her (Go-lentement!), who BURNS people on deep strikes. We're talking juiced up Ben Johnson acceleration and separation from her opponents. All these ladies would be much better picks than your average male, who tends to be slightly better coached via clinics and criticism / suggestions from male team-mates.
The next time you see me on the sideline of a low-tier game, and I seem a little too invested, chances are there's another fantasy ultimate player on the sideline who I'm competing against. If you happen to be on the field, I strongly encourage you to try for a sky, greatest, footblock, Callahan, or anything funky you can perform…and then watch my reaction. Who knows, you might have just earned me some fantasy ultimate points! Until next time, happy hucking!
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment