"Just warning you - James took his gloves off. Now it's officially on!"
- Chris R to Cheeky Monkey after I took my receiver gloves off at half-time of the tier 3 quarter final game. The score was 8-2 for Cheeky Monkey at the time.
"G - Come over and hang out with us outside the fence. James, you can come over and hang with the cool kids too...I know you want to."
- Lily 'HammersandTiesmen' before being stopped by an OJ teeniebopper on her way out of the fenced in area, with a beer in her hand. (For those of you who need to know, I did indeed go and hang with the cool kids (+ GLUM Ford) outside the fence).
Summer OCUA league play is officially finished. Any tips of things to do on week nights between summer and fall seasons would be greatly appreciated. Without tips, this could be a long two weeks :(
- Monday's quarterfinal against Cheeky Monkey was disappointing. Due to horrible weather prior to the game, injuries, and one of our player's wife giving birth the night before, we could only field a team of three men and four women. Our opposition had some current and former competitive players, four more subs than we did, and destroyed us 13-6.
- My high-light of the game my longest forehand pull ever (half way through their endzone). My low-lights were a few throw-aways due to a slippery disc and lack of skill while acting as my team's primary handler.
- The numbers are in, and I've lost 12 lbs this summer on the "ultimate diet". Yes folks, I'm tipping the scales at a malnourished 155 lbs. The good news is that my girlish figure won me (actually it won G) a purple tie at the Ex from a carnie who guessed I must weigh at least 163 lbs.
- Speaking of the gelato-star, after throwing with her last week, I learned an important lesson that "DQ ultimate burgers" and ultimate don't mix.
- Since our assistant captain was away, and because I didn't want to tire myself out covering Poached team-mate Steve Chow(areyouonlya4inleaguewonder) (who am I kidding, I would have zoned the guy), I changed our Friday bonus games' opponents from Ultimate Warriors to No Shirt, No Shoes.
- Playing against Trina's crew was lots of fun, even though I shut it down around halftime. The plan was to create a challenging game for Sprawl to get them ready for slightly harder teams that they'll be facing this fall without yours truly. I think the team performed decent, and will hopefully continue to improve this fall. A little conservatism when it comes to hucks will help the team going forward.
- The high-light of the game for me was seeing a team-mate's surprise when we called a timeout, dressed her up, and sang happy birthday. The low-light was…the low post-game bar attendance? :P Seriously, if that was my last game as Urban Sprawl, it was a fun, low-key way to go out.
- After staying out pretty late the night before, Sunday's playoffs for the bottom half of tier 3 are a bit fuzzy in my mind.
- Playing the Physbees is always a good time, although the low-light was probably a travel call I made from midfield on a guy in their endzone. Call me crazy, but if I can see the guy's feet shuffle from midfield, I feel obliged to make the call. Luckily, Poached Motel's women stepped up with strong games, and Steve proved to everyone that he is the layout king. Personal high-light was a no-look D in the end-zone that made everyone on and off the field laugh. We took the game 14-11. Props to Physbees player and Sprawl team-mate Tania for lighting it up on offense.
- The last OCUA summer league game of the year for the "tier 3.5 chumpion-ship" was against the Outlaws. I met one of my former co-workers' husbands (she was also on the team and apparently plays for Scarlett) before he popped his shoulder out on a bid. Outlaws had one very strong handler, but fell prone to an Urban Sprawl problem of relying too much on zone defense. Here's a question: once a team proves they can beat a zone, why continue to play it? We outlasted this team 14-12. My upwind flicks were a little iffy (low-light), but my downwind hucks were sweet (high-light).
- Hung out for a bit after the games, and caught most of the Monday tier 1 final between Joule Heist and Committee for Public Safety. Joule Heist took the game 15-6ish. Here's an observation that I hope won't be too controversial, but one of the open players who doesn't get enough props is Bryce. Ridiculous speed and endurance make him a defensive and offensive threat, and I love the way he extends on his throws.
With summer ulty officially over, I'm looking forward to fall league (playing on captain Julie's team…don't know when…or a name…but it should be awesome), and maybe a few tournaments. Definitely playing Spirit, hopefully with the Fish, but if not, Chris offered me a spot on his intermediate team. Also probably playing Clambake with Mule, which should be a blast given Pete and G will be joining me on the trip. You'll be spared weekly recaps for the next little while, but don't threat, they'll be back with a vengeance ;-) Until next time, happy hucking!
Monday, August 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment