Tuesday, April 29, 2008

BigFish Tryouts - The Good, The Bad, & The Sore

The Good (this will be short and sweet)
- No cuts will be made based on last night and I at least have Saturday to redeem myself.
- The windy/rainy weather didn't affect my game as much as I feared.
- I got a couple D's on the huck drill, and a few decent cuts in the cut in a box drill.
- It's extremely unlikely I'll play worse Wednesday or Saturday.

The Bad (where to begin?)
- Three of the four drills were ones I had never seen before. The corner drill in particular had me confused.
- Our team didn't score in two scrimmages.
- Got my first case of the dropsies in about a year (including a memorable bungle in the endzone).
- Threw two incomplete passes in the scrimmages, including an under thrown long pass, and quickly bouncing a disc off the knees of my handler two feet away.
- Got skyed on the huck drill, but it was by my ex-coach Gord (who tore it up all night).
- After coming off the field on the 3-on-2 drill, I returned a disc to the field by bouncing a backhand off both football goal posts (an impressive feat had I been attempting it).
- Was asked by my favorite evaluator (Julie) why I gave up on defense on a disk that was out of bounds (it hit the bleachers!) during the huck drill.
- Despite handling soundly in two pick-up games last week and getting in some outside throwing last weekend, I lost all confidence in my throws last night. It got to the point where I was surprised when a forehand didn't blade or a backhand stayed straight.
- Since I've lost confidence in my game, I'm dreading the Intermediate team tryout on Wednesday which I was looking forward to a week ago.

The Sore (ouch)
- My right heel is tight and sensitive despite thorough stretching.
- Managed to tweak my right groin so it's now sore again (8 months of physio later).
- I have this huge, ugly, mystery bruise on my left forearm that appeared this morning.
- At the base of my left palm, there's this protrusion that is quite sensitive…also a complete mystery.
- Since I lost all confidence in my throws (see The Bad), I decided to only defend or cut during the huck drill, and was in oxygen debt the rest of the night.

As stated in The Good, it's unlikely I can play worse in the next two tryouts. I have to lose the nervousness, start playing at a more comfortable pace, and maybe try handling or something to calm down. Ugh, what a crappy start. Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: