Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Off-season? That's for Suckers...

One of the great things about living in the city with the largest ultimate league in the world (OCUA) is that there is no off-season. If you're up for it, you can play in leagues in the summer, winter, and fall (although I'd recommend PROUF Phaul-leeg instead of OCUA). There are clinics and tryouts in the spring (basically just a month while the snow melts off the fields). Plus, there's an alternative league (OSSC) if you MUST continue to play in the spring. Having said all that, if you're an ultimate addict, one of the bad things about living in the city with the largest ultimate league is that there is no off-season. If you're tired, injured, or busy, but still feel the overwhelming need to get your ultimate fix, you'll probably end up playing through pain.

Admittedly, this is what happened to me last winter after I was diagnosed with a sports hernia. For those of you who don't know what a sports hernia is…consider yourself lucky! Seriously though, it's a small hole in your lower inguinal wall (i.e. your lower abdominal wall) that is irritated when your lower intestine rubs against it or starts seeping through. The hole is caused by a weak core, so remember those sit-ups kiddies! Even after physio-ing my way back to almost normal health (sports hernias never go away unless repaired by surgery), I ended up with plantar faciitis in my right heel, and needed to take another couple of weeks off.

With a hole in my lower right abdominal wall, and a not quite fully recovered right heel, I'm in the unenviable position of trying to prepare my body for two sets of tryouts that are bound to push it to its limits. What kind of exercises am I doing? Glad you asked…

When diagnosed with the sports hernia, I had the luck of walking into the clinic with the best damn physiotherapist in Ottawa. Dave Foley works for the Canadian men's soccer team (who know all about sports hernias) and with a wide range of professional and amateur athletes. Dave immediately assigned me an aerobic program, along with core stretching and strengthening programs. The core stretching (targeting the groin and hip flexors) and strengthening (ball, bands, sit-ups) each take about 30 minutes a day (5 days a week). Aerobic conditioning now consists of 15 minutes on a stationary bike (2 days a week) and 15-30 minutes on the treadmill (3 days a week). I've also substituted ultimate games for treadmill work (so long as I'm not handling for the entire game…which I'm prone to do when feeling tired/lazy).

Beyond the physio exercises, which I plan to continue to into eternity (no more weak core), I've been lifting weights 3-4 days a week as well. After reading some sites and blogs, I've come to realize that lifting is a bit controversial for ultimate players…not so much as "mixed" play, but still questionable. However, I'll refer any skeptics to the (in)famous Zip Tips (if you haven't read these, get on it), where I get most of my weight lifting exercises. By lifting for 20-30 minutes 3-4 times a week, I've been able to improve my strength and muscular endurance…plus I get to enjoy the "scenery" at the gym ;-) There are a couple non-Zip suggested exercises that have worked wonders on my wrists and forearms. Two areas you want to develop if you enjoy hucking the disc *raises hand*. For those of you who are worried about "bulking up", don't lose sleep over it. I've lifted pretty regularly for almost 3 years, and have no trouble maintaining my girlish figure (165 pounds distributed over a 6'1 frame). This reminds of a recent conversation with a guy (Joel something…plays competitive masters ultimate) from a gym we used to belong to, who asked if I was still working out, only to be interrupted by a vocal former ultimate teammate who chimed in with "Have you seen his arms? Obviously not!" In retrospect, that kinda hurt, but, I can take with my broad shoulders…oh wait…

After investing 90 – 120 minutes most days into improving my strength, flexibility, and endurance, I'm still not sure I'm ready for tryouts. I wish my cardio base was better, but my heel simply won't allow that at this point. I also wish I could have incorporated some interval running into my training, but without an adequate cardio base, that would have been risky. The "pre-tryout tryouts" with the Open program might have thrown me for a loop, since the fitness of their players is sooo far above that of any team I'll be trying out for. Anyway, it's almost time to see if all the preparatory and recovery work paid off, since the real tryouts are quickly approaching. Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: