"We do, what we do, to get by,
And then we need a release"
- Thrash Unreal by Against Me
Another 4+ days of ultimate crammed into a seven day week. The point form recap is included below for your viewing pleasure.
- The + day refers throwing with some BigFish and one BFC member last Sunday.
- Random observation: It seems I'm not the only one who's self-conscious about my throws (the length of my backhand in my case). It's weird to think that competitive players (and practice squadders!) worry more about distance, accuracy, and appearance of throws than most beginners and intermediate players.
- Poach Motel has officially played ourselves into dangerous territory. We won against a very talented team last Monday that included a dominant Scarlett lady, an ex-Jacked-Pass team-mate, and a couple of veteran male handlers. The good news is that I underestimated the competitiveness of our ladies, who are amazing. The bad news is that this coming Monday's game is going to be killer. I recognize at least four comp players on the other team's roster (two Fishes), including a Phoenix handler. Said handler can huck the field, blow by me with Berkley's and is top 5 in the city with his throws. My personal goal: less than 5 incomplete passes (I've had 2 and 1 the past two Mondays).
- Although I'm dreading next Monday's game since we might get destroyed, I'm looking forward to it from a competitive standpoint. Plus, the other team has one of the hottest women in OCUA as a sub...so at least I can blame any iid-iot plays on being distracted.
- Speaking of the hottest women in OCUA, I seem to have lucked out with my two teams and BigFish this summer. So much eye candy, it's a wonder I'm not dropping the disc more often.
- Tuesday's practice was lots of fun, but freaking cold. Having never played "zone offensive" before, I learned tonnes. Tom's core exercises were absolutely killer, but also targeted important areas, so I'll integrate them into my personal routine.
- Thursday's practice was equally educational in that I learned BigFish zone defense. In particular, I have to remember the mid-mid's role, which is quite different than what I'm used to.
- After Tom leading us through another fitness circuit, I'm less sore this weekend after lunging the field another 3 times. My glutes and hamstrings are only a tad tight.
- Went out for drinks (or 'drink' in my case) after practice Thursday with most of the team. As expected, they're all very friendly, interesting people outside of ultimate. Learned two important things while out for drinks:
1. A fictional fashion accessory that I suggested on OHUA was made into a reality!
2. Sometimes it's smarter to blend in than to stand out. Keeping a low profile at practice continues to be my plan.
- Urban Sprawl vs. FFF was an interesting game. They were without the one player I know from their squad last year (he's in Open this summer), but picked up a Scarlett girl. I tried to tune down the long passes and onfield coaching this week, and just concentrated on beating my man on offense and defense. The suprising result was that I ended cutting most of the second half, and caught some beautiful tosses from team-mates for scores as we won 15-13. I was very proud of my team-mates for not getting down when they were up 4-1 or 8-5 on us. Plus, we seem to have some emerging handlers on the team, including a couple ladies.
- One of the cute ladies on Sprawl (the one with the bruise inducing flick) has really got a mind for the ultimate and was talking trash about the Scarlet FFF girl after the game. I had to bite my tongue to stop from laughing, especially when the last phrase out of said hotty's mouth was "If you haven't noticed, I'm a very competitive person." My reply, which caused her sister to giggle was "I think everyone has noticed that about you."
Since this weekend is supposed to be rainy (and hasn't disappointed), I think next week's recap will only be of four days of ultimate. I'm going to concentrate on stretching and strengthening my core this weekend, and on relaxing since this has been a busy couple of weeks for me. I'm playing my first outdoor tournament of year next weekend (CHEO!) so that should be lots of fun. Until next time, happy hucking!
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment