"I hurt myself today,
to see if I still feel.
I focus on the pain,
the only thing that's real."
Johnny Cash - Hurt
First thing is first - thank you to Employee of the Month sub Jon for giving me the link so that I could fix my blog url! No longer is my blog url totally misleading :) Now I expect the profile views and hits to level off or possibly decrease *fingers crossed*. On that note, the following is my recap of the last week in "falltimate".
- Employee of the Month lost a battle against Glenn's Ragin Gaijin team on Monday night by a score of 18 - 10. This was our first fall game at Frankly Crumbling Stadium (FCS), and definitely won't be our last as we have another there this coming Monday.
- Personal high-light of the game was getting a few cuts against the likes of Damian, Glenn, and Lorenz. I respect and admire all three of these individuals, and it was a privlege marking and being marked by them.
- Personal low-light of the game was throwing away three passes. It was a windless night, and even though I didn't drop anything, I have to minimize turnovers if I want to make IAD this winter.
- Further to that point, the winter leagues in Ottawa have changed quite a bit this year. They'll be no Elite ulimate at FCS (4 teams last year), and IID and IAD at FCS will run with 2 less teams each (8 vs. 10). Since I changed the URL, I'll go on record and say this is a dumb financial decision. Cutting 8 "higher caliber teams in favor of new rec leagues at the FCS will cost OCUA approximately $9,600 ($100 difference per team x 12 people per team x 8 teams). There were never a shortage of people wanting to play in the higher caliber leagues.
- My plan is to tryout for IAD, but with the numbers the way they are, I'll expect to play IID again on Wednesdays this winter. It's not that I don't think my game has progressed since last winter, it's basically that with some Elite players dropping down to Advanced, and a lot of the Advanced spots already taken by returning players and "grizzled vets" who provide leadership, my chances aren't good. Plus, and again I'll put this in here since my URL has changed, I don't know Reza, he doesn't know me, which means he's much more likely to take one of his buddies for the league.
- Between games, I attended the OCUA AGM this past Tuesday. Although I didn't count, apparently 22 of nearly 5,000 OCUA members showed up. Luckily, BF captain Sandra worked her but off to gather proxies, guaranteeing that the 2% quorum was acheived.
- For those of you who've never attended the AGM, I'd strongly recommend it. Although there were no controversial motions, there was some interesting discussion concerning a variety of relevant topics.
- EotM was lucky enough to be chosen to play in the feature game at the new Aviation Museum fields for the grand opening on Saturday. We won against Cruisin' by a final score of 15-13. After Cruisin' took a 5-1 lead, we clawed our way back thanks to a number of our veterans stepping up.
- Personal high-light of the game was a layout catch for a point on a second effort after I tipped it in the air.
- Low-light for me was throwing the disc away 3 times while handling. If my team trusts me enough to let me handle, I can't turn the disc over. It's that simple.
- A second low-light, and the reason for the song choice, is that both of my feet really hurt after the game. I've been too lazy to put my Superfeet insoles in my new cleats, and the rock hard fields (sorry OCUA...but it's true), really aggrivated my sensitive feet.
All in all, that was a pretty busy week of ultimate. With IAD tryouts fast approaching, I'm working out quite hard away from the fields, and plan to do a consultation with KJ this Tuesday to see if I can get set up with a workout plan. Until next time, happy hucking!
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment