Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Random" Rambles

“Wal-mart... do they like make walls there?”
- The Idiotic Paris Hilton
“King me, baby ... it's oh-so fashionable.”
- The Temporary Genious Paris Hilton

If you need another reason to hate Paris Hilton (and you shouldn't, since she sets an awful example for young women world wide by being a materialistic, superficial, mindless, waste of cells), she was partially responsible for altering the meaning of the world "random" by repeatedly using it inappropriately. Being a professionally designated auditor and accountant, I try my best to only use "random" in a statistical sampling sense. But since I'm feeling bloggy, and couldn't think of a better title, please excuse my misuse of "random" in the title of today's post.

- Serious ultimate-related injuries scare the bejeziz out of me. Last year, I saw a team-mate tear his ACL on a seemingly harmless change of direction. Yesterday, I heard a pop from over 20 yards away when a team-mate's knee gave way while making a simple in-cut. No matter how much effort you put into preparing and improving your body to play this great sport, one little miscue can change everything. All the more reason to play every point like it's your last.

- Those that know me, know how fond I am of great quotes. Although I don't condone the use of mind altering substances, a team-mate came out with a particularly hilarious quote last night that I wanted to pass on for your consideration: "It'd be great if you knew when the last time you were going to do mushrooms was. That way, you could write it down, and truly enjoy the experience."

- Why is fall ultimate (aka falltimate) so fantastic? You play a couple games every year on these crisp (between 10 and 15 degrees), windless nights when the moon shines down in such a way to illuminate your muscles' every contraction. It doesn't hurt when your team wins easily, you're playing at a great location (i.e. Frankly Crumbling Stadium), and with a group of awesome team-mates : )

- EotM and BigFish captain Jer (aka "Oops IminJERed") came up with a new nickname for me that caught on a tad too quickly last night: Jimmy James. If you've never seen News Radio, this might not make any sense. If you have seen News Radio, this still probably won't make any sense.

- Being a track junky and football fan, Jer intrigued me when he started to ask about good 40 yard times (the common distance used to measure NFL prospects' speed). I told him that a running back or kick returner could run the 40 in a tad over 4 seconds, the average player probably runs a 4.5, and slower players are closer to 5 seconds. Since we were on a measured football field, and cause I had a stop watch, Jer immediately insisted that I time him over 40 meters. The other men on our team quickly followed suit, with only one of four breaking the 5 second barrier, while the slowest time was 5.9 seconds. Here's your quiz, place the following four players from speediest to slowest (*hint - the results will surprise you*): Jer, Baby C, Al C, and Tron.

- There's a rumor on the OCUA forums that the UPA has considered not letting Canadian teams participate in their fall series championships and college championships. Let's hope this is only a rumor, since such tournaments should bring together the best teams and players in North America. Plus, it's exciting to see local players compete against all-stars of the game on Ultivillage DVDs.

With all the "randomness" out of me, I'm feeling as light as disc soaring between the goalposts at Landsdowne from 50 yards away (thanks for the idea Mr. Two Pointer!). Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: