Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Hot & Cold Week

"Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in and you're out
You're up and you're down."
Katy Perry - Hot N Cold

One of the things I found most frusterating when I first started playing ultimate, was my inconsistency. I'd have a game where everything clicked, then disappear the next game. This pretty much lasted until mid-last summer on BigFish, when I realized it wasn't luck, energy, opponents, or team-mates that dictated if I'd be on or off in a given game, it was my mindset. Ever since, even when I'm not catching every disc thrown my way, or if my flick takes a vacation, I can focus on playing solid (aka - boring) frisbee, making good decisions, and working my ass off on D. Doing this, I've managed to string together my longest streak of consistent games. That streak was snapped today, stay tuned and I'll let you know why.

- Employee of the Month had a pretty easy win against La Resistance Monday at FCS. The final score might have been 14-9, but, it wasn't that close.
- High-light of the game was skying for the first point on a huck from Tron.
- Low-light of the game was hearing Big Mike's knee snap and give out from 20 yards away :( He's out for the season, and some of our team members thought it might be his "retirement injury". That'd be awful. He's a hell of a frisbee player, and a great guy to boot.
- Wednesday (I think)...no wait...Tuesday (?)...sometime earlier this week, G, Sandra S. and I went over to KJ's to have him set us up with a workout plan. We plan to get together once a week at my gym and push eachother. I think we're all taking his class, given by one of the BFC ladies that I don't know (sorry...they all look alike) that starts next week. It was nice to finally meet KJ, after doing his stretches all last summer. For $30, I'm super happy with the workout plan he gave us.
- Had an interesting conversation with KJ regarding an article he wrote about how long distance running and ultimate don't mesh. After reading the article, I'm semi-convinced he's right. Since Glenn told me to work on quick bursts this winter, and because KJ is the man, I beleive I've ran my last long run of the year :( These will be replaced by quick intervals on the treadmill and some kick boxing classes at work.
- Ok, so today's game against Bathtub Heroes was depressing. Despite picking up Lamo, EotM lost 15-10.
- High-light was EotM's first point when Lamo sent me long and I made a kind of tricky over the shoulder catch for a point.
- Low-lights of the game were plentiful. I got scored on three times, landed on my ass on a simple in cut, dumped despite Gavin and Julie telling me to launch it out of 8 on Zoolander, and just sucked it up in general. In short, I disappeared and didn't help my team when they really could have used it.

Despite recognizing I was having an off game today, I couldn't stop it by focusing on making the right decisions, and putting more effort in on D. This leads me to my lesson learned for this week (yup, I'm bringing the lessons learned out of retirement) - some days, when your mind is elsewhere, you shouldn't play frisbee. You owe it to your team-mates and even to your opponents to be concentrating on the game. You're not helping your team-mates, and you could potentially hurt your opponents when you're not focusing on the field of play.

The challenge now is to bounce back with a strong game against the top team in the league on Monday night. Sweet Daddy Whup (spelt wrong) Ass be warned: I'm bringing my A-game Monday night! Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: