Steve Chowareyouonlya4inLeagueWonder – Are you playing with us tonight James?
Nurple – Yup. Chris called in the heavy hitters while he's injured.
Steve – Sweet! We got a ringer!
Mahatma – Or maybe Chris wanted us to get bumped down a few notches when he comes back so he called you in.
Team – Laughs
PN#55 – Yea, you probably owed me that one Mehmet.
*On the line after Mahatma drops an easy pass five yards from the endzone*
Mahatma – That was great patience against the zone guys.
Nurple – Very nice patience and execution, except for that dropped pass at the end. Who dropped that MEHMET?
Team - Laughs
The Almighty Kamasutra *thinks of ways to keep PN#55 out of IAD this winter*
As the weather cooled down in Ottawa, the ultimate action actually heated up this week.
- Sweet Daddy Whup Ass lived up to their misspelled name and whooped EotM's collective ass on Monday by a final score of 15 – 8. SDWA got off to a huge 8-2 lead, then EotM scored 4 unanswered points, before SDWA took the momentum back to win with a 7 – 2 run.
- Personal high-light was a very strong second half (minus soon-to-be-discussed-defensive-blunders). I had two sweet skies (one over a much taller opponent), one of the prettier D's I can remember, and displayed very sound decision making which resulted in BF captains Jer & Julie commenting that I should be handling more often.
- Personal low-lights were not starting off as quickly as I would have liked, throwing away a huck, and getting absolutely owned on O & D by Simon from Phoenix. I had trouble getting off simple in cuts on Simon, and couldn't keep up with him on D. The quick disc movement style of Ottawa's open program is a challenge on D for an older, slower, mixed player like me.
- Got together with two Fishes on Tuesday for the first of *hopefully* many KJ circuit workouts. It was great that Sandra totally pushed us to do a third circuit, and both ladies were kind enough to give me some tips on form.
- High-light of the workout was winning the contraplank contest thus ensuring the sweetest tasting FREE gelato I've ever had : ) Low-light was probably the single-arm deadlifts, which I suck at.
- With IAD tryouts quickly approaching, I had considered contacting the captain of my Monday summer team and asking if he needed any subs since I know he plays on a top Wednesday team in the fall. He beat me to the punch contacting me when he sprained his ankle. Not only did I get some high quality handling practice, as noted in my previous post, I got to play with the always quotable Mahatma (see above).
- Dirty Voodo Children (my team) beat their closely matched opponents 15 – 13 on Wednesday. - High-light of the game was having fewer drops (0 vs. 2) and throw-aways (2 vs. 3 – both of mine were on dumps) and more points (2 vs. 0) than the Almighty Kamasutra.
- Low-light of the game was getting scored on 4 times on D by the same guy : ( Granted he was quick, but I should have shut this guy down after he beat me with a deep cut the first time. It didn't help that my team wasn't the best at calling ups, or holding the force, but I should have shaded him in instead of risk getting beat deep.
- Thursday was my first "KJ Class", taught by a BFC lady…oh…I'll say it's Michelle...and probably be wrong. Although these sessions are a tad pricey, and the gym isn't the best, I found it to be an incredible workout. Right up there with workouts from my favorite BF trainer Tommy.
- The teacher…yah…let's stick with Michelle (sounds right) was telling me how much she had benefited from KJ's sport specific training sessions the year before, and how it helped her make the jump from BigFish to BFC. It's nice that she remembered me as a BF, and tried to relate her experience to me : )
- Not to blow my own horn, but I'm in such fantastic shape right now, it's hard to believe. The sports hernia hasn't bothered me since Spirit, cutting out long runs hasn't hurt my endurance , and I feel so much stronger and faster on the field.
- On a windy Saturday morning, Employee of the Month dismantled Ultimate Elmo 15 - 9. I probably had my strongest game of the year, so of course Gavin wasn't there to see it *sigh*. I remember scoring at least 5 points, and throwing another 2. The low-lights were two throw-aways (not bad for a windy day), but strangely they were both on longer downwind passes that I didn't throw long enough. I also had one of my best pulls ever, before putting another decent pull slightly out of bounds.
- It's nice to see some of the newer players on EotM improve. I'm awful with names, but Jon's partner and Jeanne are both really impressive players who are rock solid offensively. It also helps when you have subs like Pete Hook, who's absolutely amazing on both sides of the disk. And our latest pick-up to replace big Mike....Al "Callmeantonio"! Sweet!
On that note, I'm off to do some physio exercises and sprint intervals. Even though Mehmet was saying that there's currently more spots than people for IID and IAD, I'm sure that will change and I'm anticipating a very hard tryout thanksgiving Monday. Oh, and I think my next post will be about the role of referees and observers in ultimate, since it seems to be a red hot topic on the OCUA forums. Until next time, happy hucking!
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment