Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Still a Rock Star

Warning: I doubt the below post will stay up for long. I'm just pissed right now...it'll pass. Without going into details, October has been a shitty month for me....November can't come fast enough. So ya, the below is just me being angry and immature.

"I'm sorry to inform you that your application to IAD was not successful."
- Reza

"So, so what?
I'm still a rock star
I got my rock moves
And I don't need you
And guess what
I'm having more fun
And now that we're done
I'm gonna show you tonight
I'm alright, I'm just fine
And you're a tool."

Pink – So What

The above lyrics go out to Reza, and accurately reflect my thoughts after getting his "You didn't make the cut" email. If this entry comes back to bite me in the ass at a future date, so be it. One of the nice things about having a blog, especially one that is now reasonably well hidden (thanks again Jon) is that you get to vent when things don't go your way.

"So, so what?
I'm still a rock star
I got my rock moves"

Seriously, so what? I'm still a competitive ultimate player (aka a "rock star"…hell, BigFish beat Rock Star *haha*), which is more than I can say for half the players in IAD. This brings me to my primary criticism of IAD – since one of the goals of OCUA is to support their competitive program, why wouldn't you want competitive players playing at the highest level during their off-season? Instead, IAD has plenty of Reza's buddies who I've bested in various games throughout the summer and fall. How did I best them? My rock moves of course ;-) Let's see any of them complete a field length flick, play hard for seven games in two days, or sky a taller defender for a point at Regionals.

"And I don't need you"

Sharpe gave me some great advice on stuff to work on this winter, one of the BF captains told me where to focus to improve, and KJs classes are going to have me in such awesome shape come next spring, I'll be kicking IAD players' asses when it counts…at tryouts and tournaments.

"And guess what
I'm having more fun"

I plan on busting my ass in IID and on Fridays this winter, But since I won't be in IAD, I'm guaranteed to have more fun than by playing in Reza's old boy club.

"And now that we're done
I'm gonna show you tonight
I'm alright, I'm just fine"

Now that IAD tryouts are over, and I didn't make it, I'm gonna show Reza and everyone playing on Wednesday night at FCS just how much I improved this summer. There were nights when I was healthy last winter that I was pretty dominant in IID. This winter, I'll prove I'm better than "alright" or "just fine"…I'm going to make a run at being this year's Ahmad of IID.

"And you're a tool."

No elaboration required.

As mentioned before, even though I wanted and hoped to be playing IAD this winter, the realist in me expected to be playing IID. Having said that, with a little extra fuel, I'm super fired up to get winter ulty underway. I know I'll have some good company in IID (a couple of Fishes come to mind). Plus, I know that next year, I'll have to totally dominate at tryouts like G did in order to get my ticket stamped for the big league. Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: