Sunday, October 19, 2008

Recap - Too Much Ulty???

"If you can read the writing and make known to me its interpretation, you shall be clothed with purple..."
Daniel 5:16

Is it possible to have played too much ultimate in a week? As I write this, my body is saying 'yes', while my mind is saying 'no'. Below is my lengthy recap of the week's events.

- Since I covered the IAD tryout in another post, the only new piece of information is that my groin, right foot, and right hand hurt extremely badly the days following the tryout. It's depressing how one night of intense ultimate can bring so many dormant injuries to the forefront.
- Although Carl hasn't written me back with feedback about the tryout, my informal network of evaluators / co-tryoutees / ultimate peeps seem to be under the impression that I had a 'solid' to 'impressive' tryout. This of course makes me question the people I associate with ;-)
- Tuesday's KJ-approved workout was quieter since:
A) The drilling in my gym at work has decreased; and
B) The creator of the 'iPurple' workout journal was absent *sigh* sigh.
- Wednesday I picked up with DVC again and had an interesting night. During the prolonged warm-up, I threw hard and long flicks with a team-mate for about 20 minutes. With no wind, and coming off tryouts, my flicks were beautiful. During my first point, after getting the disc on a hard cut, I threw a 20 yard flick to one of my ex-comp team-mates, only to have the flick go extreme O/I, float, and get D'd by a group of defenders.
- High-light of the game was helping DVC win against a very talented Montego Bay Lobsters squad 15 – 12 to temporarily claim first place on Wednesday nights. Our opponents included BF-er "Salmon", one of the famed Casey and Jackie combo (even though I played with them, I get them mixed up), and one of my personal handling heroes, he of the sweet lefty flick, he who enjoys hucking even more than I do, he who can break me at will – Kris "Kross" Korpinen. Sadly, MBL sub Glenn didn't make it out. I'm glad he didn't since…
- I sucked <- Low-light of the game. Apparently, after warm-up my flick abandoned me to visit my sister and nephews near-by in Barfhaven. I also missed 2 easy passes (one sky, one flick that hit me in the belly-button). Oh, and I stopped counting throw-aways at 5....because despite the popular 80s tv show title, 5 is enough!
- For those of you who are saying "I'm sure you weren't that bad", let me give you two pieces of information.
1. DVC had 5 men (including myself) and 3 women, and I didn't have one goal or assist. Therefore, I was totally useless on O.
2. Mehmet was having an equally awful game, and after hearing him call himself a "wuss" for not jumping / moving for an easy point since he had two girls around him, I resisted the urge to slag him simply because I knew he'd have so much potential material to respond with.
- Given how sore my groin, wrist, and foot were, I wasn't sure about going to KJ's…no wait, Michelle's (<- that's her name…I think) class on Thursday. Wanting to get my money's worth, I went, and was glad I did. High-light of the class was doing 55 (yah 55!) push-ups while teaming with Michelle and BF-er Sandra. Low-light was barely lasting 2 minutes on the wall sit, and having Sandra totally show me up on that and the step-ups.
- On Friday, I rested. Well that's not entirely true, I lifted for about a half hour.
- Saturday morning, I played in one of the closest games I've ever been a part of, as Employee of the Month won on universe point against Cruisin 16-15.
- Low-light of the game was that Cruisin seems to bring out the worst in a EotM. They gave us a 5 for spirit last time we played, this time we traded 7s with them. The sad thing is, Cruisin is such a good match-up for EotM, since they're fast and do a lot of things unconventionally. Their rules knowledge is definitely lacking, but I enjoy playing them for the competition they provide.
- High-light of the game was....hmmm....trying a lay-out D. No, I didn't get it, but I'm glad I gave it an effort since it was for an important point in our end-zone. I don't think twice about laying out on offense (actually, I got a pretty sweet layout grab that very game), but I have to remove that "do you really want to layout?" filter on defense.
- Sunday morning I picked up again with DVC, but we lost with an uninspired effort by a score of 15-8 to Sweet: Fall.
- Low-light was that the DVC just wasn't sharp. We were creating lots of turns on defense, but our passes, catches, and strategy were a tad off all day.
- High-light was that I got a little redemption after a bad game on Wednesday. I caught 3 or 4 goals, and had a couple of D's to boot. My flicks weren't great, but I only tried two long ones before I stopped throwing them.

On that note, I'm going to take a nap since I'm exhausted. DVC offerred me a spot on their roster for the rest of the season, but I'm not sure if I'll take them up on it. Granted, it's basically just 2 more games, but I'm so tired and sore right now, I really need a break. Not that I don't love playing with Chris and Mehmet, but, it's tough when your body is telling you to stop, and they don't ever seem to have any more than 5 guys out at a game. Decisions, decisions. Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: