Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Week 5 Picks

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine."
REM - End of the World

The Almighty Mahatma decided to create "even" match-ups this week, which will affectionately be known as "The end of IID as we know it". I'm curious to see how the league changes after the holidays, since, at the risk of making some (more?) enemies, there aren't a lot of stand out players beside Pistol Pete and the juniors on the Children of the Corn, ChowareyouSTILLonlya4inLeagueWonder, and Mr. and Mrs. Bush. While I'm being controversial, I wouldn't mind getting shuffled to Grey (I miss Stu and Cory's lessons of the week) or Threezerburn (the fun I'd have hucking on that team). Although I think the Hammers have talent to burn, we lack synergy and chemistry *sigh*. This week's theme for picks will be the holidays.

Children of the Corn vs. Ocho

Since the Great Kamasutra expects this to be a close game, and because I find amusement in arguing with his sailor-suited majesty, I predict a blow out for Children of the Corn. The reason is relatively simple: the Children will be pumped up for the holidays (some still believe in Santa Claus) and will run Ocho to the point where all their feet will be as red as Rudolph's nose. Furthermore, Pistol Pete is rumored to be consuming a breakfast of champions on Wednesday of pancakes, syrup, and…peanut butter?!?! The carb/protein mix will provide him with sufficient energy to hand out early gifts to his team-mates by assisting on a bunch of scores.

Grey vs. 4 Girls One Cup

This game promises to be a holiday bundle-fest (think of elves trying to play Guitar Hero with their frozen little fingers). The two teams that will benefit most by way of post-holiday shuffle are relatively evenly matched. Grey has got three things working in their favor:
1) Awesome coaches
2) A radiant red-head who can distract one of 4 Girls 1 Cups' captains by whispering a certain finishing move.
3) Black shirts!
Yes loyal readers, since my predicting continues to hover around 50% this year, I've decided to go back to my 'black shirts are superior' prognosticating philosophy. Grey to win in an ugly, but hotly contested game.

Threezerburn vs. Hammers

ChowareyouSTILLonlya4inLeagueWonder and Matt "Suicide Running" Larose promise to keep my cheeks a festive red as they'll be sprinting laps around me all game. The striker formerly known as Delongchamps has informed me that all she wants for Christmas is to score repeatedly *gasp*. At the top of the Hammers' collective holiday wishlist is a certain lanky, hat-wearing hucker to stop gift wrapping his long passes to the other team. Mama Fish has made a simple request that we refrain from consuming "holiday spirit(s)" until after the game. As much as I'd love to go into the holiday break with a win, the Hammers will have to K. Bringiton all game long if we are to have a chance. My prediction is for the Hammers to win…the food drive*!

*Sidenote: I don't believe I've ever asked my readers for anything, but, if you're playing Wednesday night, I beg you to bring some food for the Ottawa Food Bank. Anyone who can afford to play indoor ultimate, can afford to bring a bag of food for the less fortunate.

2 x 12 vs. Army of Darkness

As much as the Great Kamasutra thinks Corn/Ocho will be the match of the night, this game promises to be the most entertaining. There are so many interesting storylines at work in this contest, many of them involving my choice for pre-holidays IID MVP (most virile playa): RPAlex. Young RP will be facing his ultimate mentor Salmon in what will be a classic teacher/student contest. If that's not enough, the man-child they call Bush will be matching up against the only other IID player to have committed the 11th edition rules to memory: Forum Frequenter Steve. If the man with the golden notebook survives those first two match-ups, he will face fellow fall Fireburp PS player El Diablo Mackalacka. My money is on young Alex to run the gauntlet and lead his team to victory. If he needs help, beside the Toronto-bound, Bonzai-lovin' prognosticator (who will light it up in his last game of IID), there will be a purple-lovin', Downtown Dave Brown huck chasin', Hammer ready to sub on a moment's notice.

Predicted Quote of the Week:
From one of the many gorgeous ladies at the dome on Wednesday to one of the many excitable male ultimate playas:
"Is that a candy cane in your man tights or are you happy to see me?"

On that note, I'm off to catch a few z's since this damn bus strike isn't resolved. In case this weekend is crazy, I wish you all happy holidays. Hope to see some of you at the holiday mixed tournament. Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: