"We (Threezerburn) just need one good handler to be a contender."
Steve ChowareyouonlySTILLa4inLeagueWonder - After losing to the Hammers
"I'll sit this one off since I'm still a bit oozy."
PN55 - After D-ing a disc with his face.
The last week of winter ulty before the holiday break was an eventful one. For some, it was the last chance to impress a Wednesday night coordinator in order to seal their fate the rest of the winter, for others (like yours truly), it was an opportunity to try Frisbees as an appetizer. On with the recap.
- With the F*&#ing bus strike still in full effect, the four Fish were unable to reunite for our typical workout early this week. With combined team records of 1(my team) win, 2 losses, and a tie, maybe not performing the torturous KJ routine impeded ulty performance?
- Wednesday's game against Steve and Threezerburn was quite enjoyable. While others were worried about impressing the Almighty Mahatma, I focused on shutting down Steve on D. Even though I wasn't totally successful, I'd like to think my defensive effort was somewhat helfpul in my team's 22-14 win.
- High-light of the game...ok, I'm going to pick three awesome events that had very little to do with me.
1. Unmarkable Hardenup had 2 Callahans in the same half!
2. Gym Rockin' Robinson made this ridiculous layout grab that earned him a pint from yours truly.
3. Rigid pulling off his cleat after the game and revealing his "lucky quarter" to me.
- Low-light of the game: Two throw-aways on hucks down the line. Apparently I've been over-feeding my pythons ;-)
- #25 and I talked eachother into attending Michelle's last fitness class of the year on Thursday. Although I was exhausted at the end of the hour, it felt great to finish the 3 circuits.
- Received the World Ulty Championships DVD I had ordered from Ultivillage on Friday night. Watched the Open championship game (yay Canada!) before my game later that night.
- Pre-game, exchanged Christmas gifts with #24 and #25. I'm now the proud owner of a 'Purple' purple t-shirt, and a PN55 embroidered hankerchief!
- Despite picking up a super-sub recently returned from Aussieland, Finishing Move couldn't overcome the top team in the league on Friday. In fact, it was our biggest defeat of the season in terms of point spread.
- If I had to pick a personal high-light, I'd go with an unsuccesful bid I made in hopes of catching a point later in the game. Even though I didn't come up with the disc, there was no "do you really want to lay-out on turf?" questioning going on inside my head...it was automatic :)
- Low-lights were numerous. D'ing a disc with my face on the first point of the game tore up my mouth which made it tough to get liquids down the rest of the night. Getting burnt on D repeatedly by Mike Howinthehellareyoua3inLeagueWonder from the Open program hurt the old ego. Not getting to huck one deep to the supersub was a tad disappointing. But....the lowest-low-light was: Losing it and tossing my hat late in the game.
- I remember three previous hat tosses that correspond to my worst two league games last summer, and my worst tournament game with Fish (vs. Practice). All these are excusable, since I have no leadership role to play on those teams. Seeing as how Fridays are my first captaining experiences, I can't be showing my team how frusterated I am with my own level of play. I might have to pin my hat on my head for the remainder of the season.
- Saturday was better as the Fish three got together for our last workout before the holildays. Mr. Two Pointer and Triple S came back to watch the Open championships at my place afterwards. On a sidenote, apparently my tv is too small and I have too many toothbrushes?
After having a couple of informal discussions with various ultmate peeps in the know, I think I'm going to be shuffled from my Wednesday team. Playing for a weaker team might be better for my development. As for Fridays, the schedule for our next three games all look winnable to me. I'll have to smarten up in terms of not letting my frusterations shine through on Friday nights though.
I'm definitely looking forward to the holiday break from ultimate. I'll probably be in town next weekend and might write a little recap of the holiday hat tournament. Here's wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday, and a wonderful 2009. Until next time, happy (holiday) hucking!
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment