Saturday, December 6, 2008

Winter Ulty - Week #3 Recap

"Some day you will find me,
Caught beneath the landslide
In a champagne supernova in the sky."
Oasis - Champage Supernova

As winter progresses, I'm starting to really enjoy both my Wednesday and Friday teams. The sad thing is that neither will probably stay together in their entirety. Ah well, such is the reality of winter semi-hat teams. On with recap.

- After taking last weekend "off", hitting the gym felt great Monday night. When I'm not doing KJ's suggested workout, I'm working more on legs than I have in the past.
- Tuesday was fun since one of my fellow Fish and I went to KJ to get a new workout plan. We've moved from base building, to a strength building phase. Just when I was comfortable with the five exercises that our previous routine consisted of, KJ gave us six different activities that should prove challenging over the next couple months.
- Since part of getting a new routine is doing enough reps to get a feel for the correct form, I was a tad sore for my Wednesday night game. However, the soreness went away after a few points, and as predicted "So You Think You Can Hammer" (I'm not a huge fan of our team name) prevailed over 4 girls 1 Cup by a score of 21-16.
- On a positive note, I bounced back pretty strong after my embarassing performance the week before. I caught and threw plenty of points, and played a tonne considering we had 7 guys.
- On a negative note, my decision making continues to be suspect. Having thrown away approximately 5 passes, I need to get that number down to 2 or less.
- Thursday was basically a write-off since I got my flu shot. My left shoulder was so sore that there was no way I was attempting Michelle's class.
- On a crazy note, this fitness instructor at work, who's class I went to once, talks my colleagues into guilting me into coming back to her class! lol I thoroughly enjoyed her class, but my French lessons are scheduled at the same time, and with Michelle's class Thursday nights, my attending her class just isn't in the cards.
- Speaking of work, thanks to those who wished me luck in my interview. It went well, and I should know the results the week after next.
- Friday night ultimate was a new experience: my first time as a solo-captain. That being said, with former coach GinnandJuice and his talented partner Sue subbing for us, they provided some help (along with the silver medalist from Mule) on the captaining / coaching front. Even though I had a blast, our team came up just a tad short losing 21-20 to a talented squad.
- After hearing I'm too hard on myself in this blog a record four times this week, I'll brag and say that the entire game, with the exception of the last five minutes, was pretty damn strong for me. With the exception of the last five minutes, I didn't turn the disc over, was quite productive on offense, and got multiple D's.
- But damn those last five minutes *sigh* Three hucks thrown away....while Stu joked about it on the sidelines, I felt like I blew our chances of tying or winning the game.
- On another positive, one of my winter team-mates from last year paid me a touching comment at the A&L. When quality players notice big improvements in your game, you must be doing something right :)

I mentioned that both of my winter teams would probably get reshuffled. For Friday night league, we have a captains meeting this Monday at the A&L. Since I beleive we're the only winless team (0-2-1), this will probably mean that we'll pick up a decent player or two from the league's only undefeated team. On one hand, this sucks, since I genuinely like all of our players, and see lots of potential for our team. On the flip side, the undefeated team is slightly stacked, and if there's a remote possibility that we could pick up the one open program guy from their squad, well....that would definitely be a huge lift for our squad, and be beneficial for me personally.

Ah well, we'll see what happens. I'm on my way to a party with a bunch of other Fishes, that should be interesting. As some of you probably know, I'm not exactly a party animal, but....it's important to put yourself out there and be a little outside of your comfort zone. Plus, it'll be nice to see some Fish team-mates before the holidays. Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: