1. Wind – It wreaks havoc on throws and disappears on days when you actually NEED a cool breeze.
2. Rain – Makes the disc slippery, decreases throwing accuracy, and ruins expensive Thorlo socks.
3. Cold weather ( -5 to +5) – Even with gloves, as your hands get colder, you're bound to drop the disc more.
4. Non-ultimate ultimate equipment – Granted, my weird build might be the cause of this annoyance, but it'd be nice to find a pair of ultimate gloves that fit (0 for 3 so far), cleats not designed for soccer or football, or even a pair a shorts that fit my waist and still left something to the imagination.
5. Rules Nazis – Anyone who can quote the 11th edition rules, cite the section and paragraph of the relevant clause, or regularly contributes to the OCUA rules forms should be prescribed to play pick-up with a bunch of hippies.
6. Rules No-nothings – Anyone who has never read through the 11th edition of the rules, has no idea what a pick is, or plays out of control should be confined to play in meaningless league games against a team of Rules Nazis.
7. Injuries – It sucks to sit on the sidelines while others have fun.
8. Players who take the game too seriously – Having broken up a few pushing matches in the past year, I'm always shocked when things get this heated. Essentially, we're playing a game of no consequence, with an implement whose name relates to throwing pie plates off a roof, in a sport with James Bond movie references, started by a counselor whose only goal was to make hyper kids run off their energy.
9. Haters – Don't call a travel when someone throws a 50 yard huck around your ineffective mark. Don't call a pick when someone breaks your ankles on a cut. Don't criticize the ability of others unless they ask for your input. Don't give your teammates a kick in the ass when they make a mistake, at a time when they'll need encouragement for trying something challenging.
10. Trying to explain the allure of the sport to others – I'd equate this with trying to explain to people what an auditor does…impossible!
Randomness
For those of you not familiar with my el-jay, randomness consists of a few unconnected bullet points such as:
- Urban Sprawl had our first "scrimmage" last night. A little 6-on-6 action with one sub that went surprisingly well. I'll admit, I have no idea how we'll stack up compared to last year. It bodes well that our females are very talented. Hopefully the speedy, skilled ladies can make up for the men that are...not as deep as before. The captain had a good strategy of requesting that we be ranked lower to start the season (I think we're 11th) than our 4th place finish last year. This will give us some time to get our offensive and defensive strategies in place, while integrating our new players.
- My mission for Sprawl's first game next week is to learn everybody's names. Since I'll be handling and anchoring our zone defense as a deep, I need to learn names quickly. The bad news is that I'm awful with names, and have a set of sisters that I already confused with eachother in our scrimmage.
- Steve's got a great entry on leadership in ultimate. Again, I'm not sure why you continue to read this blog when his is far superior :P
- Started to read the BigFish playbook. I love the fact that there are more than a couple hucking plays (even if I'll be the chaser). Also can't wait to use "Dice" in a league game.
- Poach motel has orange as the team color, which required a few new t-shirts. Must admit, I had a lot of fun shopping for these two shirts on Ebay.



-
No comments:
Post a Comment