Sunday, March 22, 2009

Weekly F'n Recap

"F is my favorite letter as you know."
Kathleen Edwards - The Cheapest Key

After discussing with a team-mate how frequently we both drop F-bombs on the field when things go wrong (see Wednesday), I decided to go with the above quote. Here's my memories of a busy week of frisbee.

- Threw outside for the first time this year last Sunday. Although my throws were crap, it felt great to get out of the damn dome.
- Sparkles and I met with KJ on Monday to get our last plyo-heavy workout that will carry us through to tryouts. I’m pretty comfortable with all of the exercises, but still need some coaching on form (“Clench…unclench”)
- I overdid it during my own weight workout Tuesday. On the bright side, the increased bulk seemed to pay off (see below for info on my bizarre personal streak).
- As predicted, the Hammers beat an undermanned Corn squad 27-13ish on Wednesday. It was 9-9, and then, well, we really started to roll off points.
- Personal high-light, and this will sound weird, but while having a sucky game, I realized at about 15-11 that it didn’t matter. Most of my team-mates (InVinceable, Rigid, HelloJessie, DGo, Giddy-up (as always), and MamaFish) were playing “shit hot”. It’s nice to be able to take a step-back when you’re having a bad game, and let your team-mates do the heavy lifting.
- High-light #2: Winning the sidebet!
- Low-light: Bad decisions (throwing directly into the hands of Pete, getting stalled down, f-ing up a number of dumps with one team-mate, etc.). Although not quite as spectacularly awful as the first time we played Corn, the timing couldn’t have been worse with new Fish captain Nikkster roaming the sidelines.
- On a happier note, I have an amusing personal streak going of leveling opponents in 3 straight games. The latest victim of my 160 pounds of fury was Ocho-er Morthongs who I ran over on a Berkley cut. In all seriousness, being more aggressive is some excellent advice I got post-IAD-cut.
- Here’s wishing Juffy a speedy recovery from rolling his ankle. On the bright side, a sprained ankle is much less serious than a broken ass ;-)
- Was interested to read that a 5km run might be part of the Open tryouts. Although aerobic fitness is important, KJ wrote an excellent article on how distance running and ulty aren’t compliments (quite the opposite). However, if the 5km is to improve pacing for players who play every point, that makes sense…as long as the risk of injury and likely slower resulting pace on the field is taken into consideration.
- Went through 2 sets of KJ's new workout on Thursday, just to get the form and appropriate weights nailed down. Squatted 20 pounds more than my previous PB.
- Despite the presence of a super-sub who accounted for a quarter of our points, Finishing Move lost to Vince/Reade's team on Friday night by about 5 points. It felt a lot closer than 5 points to me, but my co-captain had an interesting philosophy to explain the reasoning behind the loss.
************
Deep Ulty Thought: "The amount of awesomeness you can give to ultimate in a week is capped at 10 [using the infamous TK scale]. If you use up all your awesomeness on Wednesday, you can't expect to dominate on Friday when you're all out."
************
- Personal high-light: Even though I was exhausted (very long day at work), I played well. Our opponents didn't really have anyone who could run with me.
- The exception, and low-light was one of the worst points of my indoor ultimate season. I had three drops on very catchable passes, and then fell over on defense. At least my IID coach got a kick out of me tripping over my own feet.
- Saturday went through 3 sets of the new workout, and then tossed for a half hour outside. My calfs were burnt afterwards, but on the plus side, my throwing was marginally better than the week before.

How to cap off such a busy week of frisbee? How about going to a Great Big Sea concert last night with six ulty peeps who together would form a hell of a 3/4 line. Had a blast, got some jumping in, and hope I didn't do any damage to my hands with all that clapping. Afterall, I've been told my "good hands" are my only asset ;-) Until next time, happy hucking!

2 comments:

GStar said...

You got it all wrong... it's 'F is for Ford Guitar Hero rocker"... or so i hear anyway :P

Dividends in Hand said...

I have no idea what you're referring to...but that line sucks! ;-)