"We're gonna win
Forget about a draw - we're gonna score
And then were gonna get a few more
Maybe another one just to be sure
We'll make ya look just like an amateur
Until the final whistle its a war
And then were gonna pick ya off the floor
We wanna hear the crowd really roar
Ya - we're comin in were gonna win win!"
Bryan Adams - We're Gonna Win
The IID rosters were posted on Friday morning and DAMN did I luck out! Team 7, led by InVinceable EverYoung and Mama Fish looks super strong and experienced. Although I was hoping for another winter of being coached by Cory and Stu, Vince and Sandra were a very close second pick. Plus, this way I get to show Sandra that I'm more than just a cutter (even though that's what I'm planning on doing in IID this year).
Despite knowing most of the team, I really want to play with them a few games before I give an overview of our roster. To be honest, I guess the biggest surprise for me was seeing the infamous "Rigid" on my team. After sending Mehmet a message thanking him for putting me on such a talented squad, he replied saying that Rigid was a last minute trade, and he's sure we'll be able to get along. I'd tend to agree with that assessment as I always respected his game, and am really looking forward to learning how he gets off his backhand hucks.
Instead of giving an overview of our roster, I thought I'd cave to peer pressure and post my picks for next week's games instead. Although I was rather awful at picking winners last winter, I really enjoyed it, and thought I'd continue it outside of OUHA. Even though there's a temptation to be crude since these will only be posted here, the picks will probably be pretty PC…at least for now. On to the first week's games!
IID 1 vs. IID 8
Welcome to our first mismatch of the season! Led by captains Cory and Stu, IID 1 will trounce IID 8. The only chance that team 8 has is if Liz D. completely dominates team 1's women. Having played with Liz at CHEO last summer, and guessing that one of the guys on team 8 is her talented partner, there is a good possibility of her kicking ass. However, seeing Deefense CanWaite and Lizzy "Legz" St. Jean on team 1, well, quite frankly those are some hard asses to kick. Even though I only recognize one guy on team1 (a Rowdy OJ), I still know Stu and Cory will have them playing smart ultimate. Good luck team 8…you'll need it.
IID 2 vs. IID 7
Guaranteeing team 7 will bring the instensity, I still expect a battle out of team 2. Having a cleat mark from Salmon on my right leg from fall league, I'm out for revenge against him and his talented group of players. Admittedly, I'm also looking forward to seeing if forum frequenter Steve calls something crazy against our team. I'll expect to see some hot throws from El'Diablo Mackalacka to my favorite MC (who reminded me yesterday that she is in possession of an embarrassing topless picture of me). As further evidence of my quest to keep things PC, I'm not even going to touch the surname of the woman on team 2 that's begging to be made into a hilarious nickname. Even though team 2 will battle hard, they'll go down fighting to InVincable and Mama Fish's wonder kids. To bastardize the name of one of my awesome teammates, "K. Bringiton".
IID 3 vs. IID 6
Team 3 bares an uncanny resemblance to last year's Finskies, except they have added fire power with Tanya Silvousplait Golentement, and are lacking the sender of deep discs, gangsta rap fanatic – Captain Chris Route'em. Note to the women on team 6: I suggest you grow some balls, because chasing Golentement, Morehands, and Delongchamps (glad she kept that name after getting married last month) will cause you to run those balls off. To the men on team 6 – I dare you to try to stop ChowareyouSTILLonlya4inLeagueWonder. Steve is only killing time in IID until he's healed up and ready to sky elderly IADers :) Team 6's best chance? Let Mike "Stop calling me Brian (…James)" and CHo work handler isolation plays all night long.
IID 4 vs. IID 5
Team 5 is officially my dark horse team of the year. Count on "Downtown" Dave Brown hucking breakforce with his beautiful lefty throws to "The Shocker" to produce a ton of points. Also count on RPAlex challenging forum frequenter Steve for the title of "Best Rules Knowledge / Most Violations Called in IID". The only problem, is that team 4's captain Bo…knows rules ;-) I'd also be willing to bet that Matt "Low Release" Goodkey will be the first to be promoted to the big leagues (just because Steve needs a little time to heal), with Pistol Pete following closely behind him. Speaking of safe bets, I'm really hoping to hear a cry of "Bonzai" when team 5 pulls ;-) I like team 4 to win a squeaker with Pistol Pete showing his "KJ workout" developed fitness by outworking RPAlex to huck one deep to IID's hottest CMA on universe.
With only four games to pick each week, I'm going to start a new tradition of trying to predict a quote. Since it's my first week, I'm going to go with a relatively sure thing:
*While being marked by a man on team 4*
RPAlex: "Violation!"
With that, I have some studying to do for a case study on Monday. In the mean time, I'm hoping to learn my Friday night team sometime soon (there's some uber talented ladies playing Friday this year...including my captain). Hoping everyone is making the most of the last week "off" before winter ulty officially starts this Wednesday. Happy hucking!
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
re: IID 5 - It's "banzai", btw, not "bonsai". It's a battlecry, not a cheer about baby trees. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banzai_charge
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538/quotes
Post a Comment