Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Winter Goals

"The difference between you guys and the players on the other side of the curtain [IAD] isn't skill or ability, it's decision making."
S. Ginn(andJuice) – Before first IID game in November 2007

When I first heard the above quote, I was tempted to raise my hand and argue that not only was my decision making horrible, but I also lacked the skill and ability to compete against the players on the other side of that magical curtain. After a winter of playing for Stu, a summer on the BF practice roster, and a compliment from GLUM Ford for playing within myself, I know that my decision making is IAD caliber. Instead, I've decided to take the (bastardized) advice that Donald Sutherland gives Billy Crudup in the movie Without Limits and "make IID my damn play thing".
The "play thing" concept might make it sound like I'm not taking IID seriously this winter, but that's inaccurate. Granted, since I'm not planning on making picks and slagging "competitors" on ultimate message boards this winter (bye bye OUHA), I won't be focused as much on winning games in order to make my predictions come true. Having said that, if my own personal improvement goals contribute to my team's success, that would be a bonus.

It's also worth noting that after initial disappointment, I've come to think that another winter in IID is a better fit for me. In IID, I won't be stressed out about playing mistake-free ultimate. Plus, I kind of overshot my expectations by getting some PT on Fish this summer. There's something to be said for progressing at a more comfortable pace.

What will I be working on this winter in IID? Glad you asked.

Defense

1. Improve defensive positioning and footwork – As per Sharpe's advice, this is an area I need to focus. Remembering not to stare down my opponent, but keep my head on a swivel, was starting to pay dividends in falltimate. The "keeping low" vs. "hunching over" will be a more difficult and time consuming transition, but I'm committed to it. Lastly, I know at least one Friday team-mate who won't be afraid to yell at me to stay on my toes on D!

2. Making layouts automatic – On offense, I tend to layout whenever needed. Sadly, on defense, I always ask myself "Do you really want to lay out for this?" With a new pair of tights to protect my knees, the goal this winter is to make laying out for D's automatic.

Offense

3. Cutting - Cutting on BF this past summer was the first time I cut for any team in over a year. It's embarrassing to admit, but Bryce's "Take 3 steps in the direction you don't want to go in, 180 degree turn, go hard the other way" advice was what I did 95% of the time this summer. I can't remember making any Boulder cuts or sideline cuts, and I only slanted when the play required it (i.e. the other 5% of the time). Since I won't be "cutting up" anyone on OUHA, I'll use my 20 games in IID to "get my cuts in" ;-)

4. Attack high discs – This is a BF captain piece of advice that I need to work on. Knowing a couple of taller and athletic cutters in IID, I look forward to an updated "perfect sky" entry (see May or June) next year.

5. Get confidence in my backhand – It's definitely better than it was last winter, or even early summer, but I tend to break and flick instead of throwing backhand. Warm-up throwing will be focused on getting comfortable with my backhand.

General

5.5 (Yay 55!) Have fun – I know this sounds basic, but being a competitive person, it sometimes skips my mind. Since my focus is on improving, as opposed to winning games, or being promoted, I think the 'fun' goal will fall into place easier this winter. For instance, I've been thinking of ways to incorporate purple into my IID wardrobe (which would simultaneously increase chances of winning!).

There you have my plan for the winter. If you happen to wander past the "intermediate" area of the dome, and see me laying out for a hot D that I was well positioned to make, running over and pushing my defender to the sideline with a beautiful cut, skying for catch, then breaking him backhand for a score, only to do a little dance in my purple shorts afterward, you'll know I'm accomplishing my goals ;-) Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: