Saturday, November 8, 2008

"Off Week" Recap

"Everybody needs some time, on their own
Don't you know you need some time, all alone"
Guns N' Roses - November Rain

I wouldn't recap a week unless their was some ultimate involved, so after sampling some pick-up today at the BFP Dome, I felt compelled to write a little summary.

- Tuesday's KJ program workout was fun, as it was half-intermediate (the fellas), half-advanced (the lovely ladies) session. Pistol Pete joined the usual Fish divas for his second workout, and helped up the testosterone quotient at the gym. Sadly, the man they call "Buckshot" also ejected quite a bit of phlegm (<- a word I never thought I'd use in my ultimate blog).
- Michelle directed us through 55 second reps in the last of the KJ "Build Your Base" class on Thursday. The high-light of the workout was clearly doing 55 second reps, and then doing 55 push-ups. Can I get a "Yah 55!"?!?! Next week I start the circuit training session.
- Even though the price went from $10 to $15, after a few ultimate-less weeks, I needed my fix this morning. I decided to rock the black gear, cuz when you can't wear purple, black will do.
- High-light of the two hour pick-up session was getting a chance to play with so many high-caliber players. Half of the women were comp. players (including some familiar BFC faces), along with two Open guys, coach Stu (who was accompanied by the talented Sue), famed OCUA poster Steve, favorite OCUA poster DMO, and the man who thought of the team name "The Pink and Cuddly, Chainsaw Wielding, Pyshopathic Killer Buzz Bunnies - Now with 10% Less Anal Leakage": Mikey B (who's a kick ass BDU/GLUM player).
- Low-light was the first point. So get this, I volunteered to handle with one of the BFC ladies and Open player Mike. BFC lady collects, throws a pass to me in the center handler role (wtf was I doing there!?!) who bobbled it, and dropped it. Off the turn, Josh the bearded Mormon (I semi-know the guy, I can get away with that nickname) strikes break force and scores on me *sigh* Sigh.
- The cool thing about pick-up, is you get a chance to play with players you wouldn't normally get a chance to share a pitch with. Both of the Open guys complimented me on my cutting, and gave me some tips on how to cut even more effectively, and how to acheive better positioning on D. I know it's corny, but when Open guys choose to despense their wisdom to me, I take it as a huge compliment, and make sure to incorporate their points into my play. I also got a nice compliment from Stu who noted I was one of the few running in the last hour of session, and noting I was clearly in game shape (thank you KJ, Michelle, G, Pistol Pete, Go-Go Dancer Girl).
- I also found out today that another one of my co-tryoutees didn't make IAD, nor did the only other handler on my tryout squad (Pat "El-Diablo" Mackalacka). Coach Stu is back captaining an IID team, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Almighty Mahatma will see fit to put me on his team again.
- On the other hand, the talented Mikey B will be playing in IAD this winter. When I told him I didn't make it, he noted that "It's sometimes political". He also informed me that I should have show-cased my cutting ability since "you're pretty fast". I always enjoy compliments from far superior players.

Depending on how the U of O did in their game today (too lazy to check), I rather start IID and Friday late night next week, or the week after. Either way, I'm raring to go. Although there's another pick-up session in two weeks, I'm looking forward to some league play! :) Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: