Saturday, November 29, 2008

Winter Ulty - Week #2

"Because when I arrive
I, I bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher."
Kevin Rudolf & Lil Wayne - Let it Rock

I had a hard time "bringing the fire" this week to my two games. I'll bore you with the details below.

- Monday I did one of my new speed workouts that KJ suggested during my initial consultation: sprint intervals. For non-runners, and for those who might like to improve "first step" speed, sprint intervals are when you sprint for 100 or 200 meters, take a short recovery jog, and sprint again. I did 10 sprints/recoveries on Monday since it was the last day before the snow hit Ottawa.
- Tuesday's Fish workout was fun. I think I was doing my exercises too quickly though. We decided it was time to book an appointment with KJ this coming week to change up our workout. Afterall, variety is the spice of life....
- I really don't want to write or talk about Wednesday. I'm ashamed of my performance, and can't think of anything positive about that game.
- If memory serves, Thursday I lifted some weights. Definitely went to Michelle's class...where we got through three circuits. Had trouble doing the side stepping with the agility ladder.
- Friday's game was definitely better than Wednesday. Low-light was making a few stupid decisions (one throw-away, one pass intercepted by a poaching defender, and one pass that was a tad too high for a team-mate to pull down).
- Multiple high-lights in Friday's game, but the one I remember most was getting a few cuts off against one of the better players in the league who plays in the open program. I also ran my ass off trying to cover him on D.
- Even though we lost (18-13ish), it was a close game against a talented team (that should lose some players after next week). The whole captaining thing is still a challenge for me. I'm not sure how much coaching/captaining to do, since the great majority of my team has been playing the sport much longer than I have....and kind of do their own thing.
- Another post-game high-light was getting to talk with one of the veterans on our team at the A&L after the game. He's one of those guys I respect a great deal, and is a national silver medal winner from Mule. I love the fact he plays so smart.
- Next Friday is shaping up to be interesting. Coach Stu and his partner Sue are subbing for my team, since the Gelato-star and Pistol Pete are off to be black sheep in La Belle Province.
- High-light of the week: I ordered a pair of black G4's from Gaia! :D I'm not going to lie, these cleats excite me...all over *haha*
On that note, I'm glad this week is over. I'm definitely going to make an effort to play smarter next Wednesday. I've been considering cutting more, since that's really what I wanted to work on this winter. It's just that, my Wednesday team is a bit handler light....and if I cut...our athletic handler count decreases by 50%. Decisions, decisions *sigh*. Until next time, happy hucking!

1 comment:

GStar said...

Regarding your "i want to cut this winter" comment - talk to your captains about that. They should help you work on what you choose to. If you're not happy about handling, ask them why they're picking you to do so - maybe they're seeing something you're not.

PS. I put you on my line last Friday so you could chase my hucks and breaks all night ;) And stop putting yourself down, you had a great game. We'll work on the captain stuff soon.