Monday, November 24, 2008

Week 2 Picks

"Predicting the future is easy. It's trying to figure out what's going on now that's hard."
- Fritz Dressler

Here's an admission: I quite enjoyed making IID picks on here last week. On OUHA, you have a bunch of strangers reading your words, and interpreting them any way they wish. Whereas on here, I know most of my readers, so the picks aren't taken too seriously. At the risk of tooting my own horn, I picked 75% of the games right last week, and I'm pretty sure I got my quote correct as well. Will I be able to acheive 100% accuracy this week? Don't hold your breath ;-)

Team 6 vs. Team 5

With both teams looking to rebound after week 1 losses, the smart money (i.e. funds not invested in financing the song "Car Crash" on CBC Radio 3 *tee hee*) is on team 5 to pull out the win. Why does the smart money favor team 5? Smart money comes from smart players. There are confirmed rumors that one "tall drink of water" (quoteth #24) on team 5 keeps track of his positive and negative accomplishments each game by way of a notebook. A smart improvement plan if there ever was one. As stated in my initial set of picks, team 5 has the talent to be one of the top teams in the league…it's just a matter of meshing styles. Team 6 looked to have trouble handling the speedy women on team 3 last week, and will be in for another tough test in trying to shut down Ms. Bush. So as not to be totally negative on team 6, I think they have one of the strongest groups of handlers in IID. Any post-holiday shuffle that brings team 6 some cutters will undoubtedly strengthen their team.

Team 1 vs Team 2

The other two "loveable losers" from week 1 face off in what should be a close game. Having seen a few points of team 1's loss last week, it's obvious that the great Kamasutra didn't distribute height evenly throughout the league (see the giants on team 3 as further proof). What makes it obvious? There was this 5'4 guy on team 1 that weighed about 100 pounds (if had been painted with lead) that wore a t-shirt "Will Flex for Food". The sad thing is, he wasn't the shortest player on that team. *sigh*. With coach Cory back in the line-up, team 1 will be improved. Hopefully, Deefense can Waite will also return for team 1, since they seemed to be lacking her energy last week. Although I hate to bet against my captains from last year, I think team 2 will take this match-up. Team 2 has tones of talent, and will use the height of "Tree" Thomson to their full advantage. Also look for MC to "Steele" the show by shutting down the Leggy girl on team 1.

Team 7 vs Team 4

Team 7 will be rockin' our black shirts which increase our chances of winning this tilt. I'm hoping that team 4 blew their collective load to pull out a tight win last week, and that their Good-key won't open any clear lanes for them. With unconfirmed rumors that Pistol Pete hurt his shoulder while trying to impress his uber cool girlfriend with gratuitous layouts last week, number 55 will look to test number 25's fitness ;-) I'm really looking forward to seeing who on team 4 (if anyone) will step-up to cover Giddy-up (who is quickly moving up my list of favorite team-mates who chase after my errant hucks). Lastly, I'll predict that Gym Rockin' Robinson will dig into his purple-wearing past to be a deciding factor in team 7's win.

Ocho vs. Team 3

Team "Ocho" surprised me by their large margin of victory over team 1 last week and impressed me by picking such a cool name. For those accomplishments, they earned my respect. However, my gut feeling is that team 3 will dominate the league until the Almighty Mahatma blows them apart. With two Fish women (Golentement and Morehands), and my ulty-name-crush formerly known as Delongchamps (who could easily play competitive with her speed and handling skills), team 3 has the strongest women in the league this side of team 7 ;-) With two male giants, the amazing ChowareyouonlySTILLa4inLeagueWonder (when he recovers), and de-captained Jody to keep things organized, all that team 7 is missing is a lanky handler to send discs deep and high (I might know someone who's interested…). I'll pick team 3 by a sizable margin…possibly double figures.

This week's predicted quote will come from a stylin' IID alumuni, who will undoubtedly be courtside to see the clash of the undefeated titans at 9:30pm. With a vested interested in the outcome of the game, this former IID star will at some point in the game exclaim:
"Yo 25. Stop making 55 look better than he is. Bring the fire P-star!"

On that note, I'm off to dream of skies, layout D's, and smart decisions. Can't wait til Wednesday at 9:30 :) Until next time, happy hucking!

No comments: