Saturday, February 28, 2009

Week (n+1) Recap & Priorities

“Ultimate, girlfriend, family, job, God.”
Kenny Dobbins explains his priorities (1989)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbKUL3Bfbew

For fun, list the five most important things in your life. If ultimate is number one, I suggest you call your mother, immediately followed by a psychologist. On with the recap?

- Due to the some family and work stuff, didn’t get around to making picks this week. Did get around to upping the weight on the ‘revil rows’ bar to a PB of 100 lbs on Monday.
- Wednesday’s game went better than I would have predicted. Although Downtown Dave Brown broke me at will all night long, my Hammer-happy team-mates managed to outgun the Army by a final score of 25-20. Considering we started late, timeouts were called, and there were plenty of turnovers, the 45 combined points were a reflection of the high-potency huckers and speedy strikers on both squads.
- Here’s an odd observation and the motivation behind this week’s quote: the less I care about frisbee, the better I seem to play. Two Wednesdays ago, I was so exhausted by the time I stepped on the court for the late game, I went through the motions, and cruised to my best game of the year. This past week, I wasn’t thinking as much as reacting, but the reactions were pretty accurate. I’m sure there’s the equivalent of the ‘point of diminishing returns’, where if I don’t care at all, I’ll start sucking…but, I have yet to reach it.
- The one exercise that stood out at M24’s class, was this 'toss a ball up in the air while lying on your back, and stand up to catch it'. Although there’s probably a technique to it, my only goal was not to take out any participants, small trampolining children, or their parents. A quick tip – if you ever see me lying on my back with a ball in my hand, you might want to clear a 10 meter radius and call the ‘up’.
- There was one player I was a little leery about sharing the court with this winter. While hesitant, I had this theory that our games would be complimentary. After 12 or 13 weeks, I’m at the point where I do everything I can to be on the field with him. His throws make me look like a better cutter, and I know we share the same ‘Look long (stall 3) then short (stall 4), then dump’ philosophy, which allows me to be an effective handling partner with him.
- Friday's game went well, with the exception of a 10 minute stretch during which FM couldn't buy a goal. Our team ended up losing by two points. Given the subs we're lining up for next Friday, and the fact that FM will be without their happiest hucker, I think the squad will pull off the upset of the top ranked team.
- Today was mini-workout day (2 instead of the usual 3 sets), in order to save some energy for the ass whooping that I'm gauranteed to get tonight. Thanks to the Fish four who all managed to make it out for what felt like an early morning workout.
- High-light of the workout came in the car on the way there when I received a brown peice of paper with "MGMT Ripoff" on it. To my literary / song critics: you might want to stockpile some venomous slags for use in the next week (or so) when the collaboration is complete.

If ultimate was at the top of your list, there’s still hope for you, as Ken Dobbins ended up a success away from the bizarro-world of frisbee (http://kenneth44.blogspot.com). (Alternatively, someone could have hi-jacked his blog, and tried to imitate him....nah, who'd be immature enough, and be willing to put in that much time just to prove they were an I(A)D-iot?) It’s entertaining to read how he went from the most intense player, to one who’s sole goal is to have fun on the field. Along the same lines, I’m going to keep up my ‘don’t think, just play’ philosophy, and see how it pans out. Until next time, happy hucking!

1 comment:

Stryker14 said...

Carol Creighton Burnett (born April 26, 1933) is an American actress, comedienne, singer, dancer and writer. Burnett started her career in New York. After becoming a hit on Broadway, she debuted on television. After successful appearances on The Garry Moore Show, Carol moved to Los Angeles and began an eleven-year run on the The Carol Burnett Show which was aired on CBS television from 1967 to 1978.