Saturday, January 3, 2009

Starting 2009 Off Right!

"Decisions are made
Decisions are made and not bought
But I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot
I guess not."
MGMT - Kids

Although I don't have much to recap, I'm still pumped about last night's first win for Finishing Move. Thoughts on the win and few other tidbits are included below.

- PowerThirst proved to be a challenging opponent for us, but with a short bench (6 men, 3 ladies), Finishing Move ran our collective bums off to pull out a come-from-behind 15-14 win.
- There were very few low-lights, so instead, I'll pass along this story - After receiving a new pair of green SuperFeet for Christmas, I decided to try them out in my Under Armour cleats. Since I usually have a black pair of SuperFeet and a pair of Dr. Scholes 3/4 orthotics, my cleats felt a tad loose. About half way through the game, when I tried to make an in-cut, I went in, and my right cleat went out. Yes folks, I officially cut out of my cleats *sigh* Sadly, this isn't the first time that has happenned...
- There were multiple high-lights. The late game 6-1 run from Finishing Move was memorable. HelloJessie overcame a set of cold hands by Callahaning one of the best handlers on Friday night. Mr. Finishing Move threw a truly sick I/O forehand to me for a score from midfield. Personally, I won't soon forget catching the winning point on a hammer from the ulty-love machine, Don Juan.
- My only regret is that I gave a little jumping "wooo" after catching the winning point....which could be seen as bad spirit. I was just so happy to finally get a win as a captain :)
- Part of what made the victory so sweet is that our team decided to dedicate the game to LilyHammers at the start, since she might have re-injured her ACL. Losing her would be a huge blow to the Finishing Move (and the Hammers).
- In terms of other tidbits, I thought I'd fess up to trying a new product that is really helping me in the latter stages of games. Ms. Bossitude recommended E-load to the Hammers, and I bought a $10 container of E-load Fly that mixes with water to provide supplemental carbs and assist in the uptake of carbohydrates. I've probably used it in 5 games plus a tournament at this point, and have noticed a decrease in the 'late game mental mistakes' I'm infamous for ;-)
- Found out yesterday about the 3 players from IID and 3 players from IAD who got promoted/demoted. In terms of the IID players, 2 of them made sense, and the other was completely baffling. The Almighty Mahatma must be seeing something special in player #3 that I've completely missed. Chowareyoustillonlya4inLeagueWonder, RPAlex, or Pistol Pete would have been much more logical choices for promotions.
- As for the 3 IAD players, similar deal, where 2 were semi-obvious choices, and the third was questionable. Guess all 3 should have spent more time sucking up to Reza. Ok, that was uncalled for, but, the fact that all three IID players being promoted are cutters....well, it supports my theory that no matter how good of a handler you are (i.e. Pistol Pete), trying out for IAD is pointless unless you're friends with the man.
- Last tidbit, I didn't get moved in the inter-IID shuffle. Our team did lose a lesser player, but picked up a strong handler / coached league buddy of mine. So, yah, the strong got stronger. Odd.

On that note, I'm off to work out with the two Fish at the CPC gym. Oh, before I forget, even though it's not ultimate related, since I mentioned the interviews here before, thought I'd let everyone know I'm starting a new job as a Risk Analyst at EDC on Monday. I'm quite excited about it....and think it may help me analyze the risk in making ulty predictions ;-) Until next time, happy hucking!

2 comments:

GStar said...

Seriously?! You regret the little jumping "wooo" after catching the winning point?!?! Duuuude.... it was totally cause for celebrating!!

Dividends in Hand said...

Yea...seriously...I instantly regretted it after the "wooo" was out of my mouth. Just wasn't classy.