"Oh If I was a train
I would never slow down
with my head in the sky
and the world going by."
Blue Rodeo - After the Rain
Another up and down week of winter ultimate is recapped below.
- Although Gelato-free and Pistol Pete-less, Monday's workout was productive and felt much, much better than Saturday's effort. The high-light was undoubtedly performing my first set of clap push-ups. With a mat under me, and since my workout partner set the bar high by performing them beforehand (granted, she's in much better shape than I am), I felt compelled to try them. Three sets of clap push-ups later, TK would be so proud!
- Received my 2008 UPA Fall Series DVD on Tuesday. It was cool to recognize a few GLUM, GOAT, and Traffic players. The commentary on the finals is amusingly bad.
- Wednesday's IID game was the typical Nurple affair. Although I got off to a quick start, amassing rather impressive offensive statistics (with a few Ds to boot!), my decision making went downhill fast, and I had five throw-aways and got scored on twice.
- On the bright side, we beat Salmon's semi-strong team 18-16ish, largely since we built up a sizable lead.
- The lowest of the low lights was a high, floaty, ill-advised mid-field flick to Gym Rockin' Robinson in the end zone (that was intercepted), which earned a coarse of "Bad Decision" calls from Mahatma, DGo, and a few other members of the sideline slagging militia. Having the coordinator yell loud enough for everyone to hear that you made a bad decision is frustrating *sigh*....especially with a BF captain a few feet away from him.
- High-light of the game was a brief chat with ulty buddy Aarmon of Steele. Since we were playing against his wife's team (my favorite MC), Aarmon had been checking it out and asked why I hadn't been promoted to the big league (I did rack up the offensive stats...). I just laughed it off and explained that I liked playing in a league where I could do more than just cut.
- Lest I forget, Pistol Pete had a ridiculous layout for a point in the game before ours to win it for his squad. Captain Cory and Stu's squad looked much stronger with the addition of Kennifer LangandTall (who lit it up).
- Thursday was the first night of Michelle's 'Ultimate Conditioning for Ultimate Frisbee' class. Although I was disappointed with the turn-out (in fairness, I think Andy has the competitive player market cornered), it was fun to have Gav join us. I have to remember to bring enough water for two, and an extra towel next week.
- Pre-Friday's game, Lilyhammers and Tiesmen sent me and my co-captain a message confirming she was out for the rest of the season :( Not the happiest note to go into a game on...
- Friday's game was brutal....just brutal. Our sub for Lily no-showed (that's probably my fault), and our had team had a case of cold hands. The other team played with horseshoes up their bums and caught everything that was thrown their way. The result was a lopsided 26-17 win for them.
- If I had to pick a high-light, we executed both of our endzone plays at least once.
- Low-light was not having a timeout to get things calmed down and turned around. The game definitely got away from us.
Looking back, that was a damn busy week of ultimate. I'm trying not to let the loss last night get to me, but it's hard sometimes. I know we'll bounce back next week against Al's team (my captain from last winter). More than anything, I think the 'bad decision' call from Mehmet seems to be sticking with me. Since I was on his fall team, and we kidded around with eachother, I know it was in good humor....but, it's tough to be called out on something like that in front of your team-mates, and a few people you're trying to impress. I'm fully aware that decision making is the reason I'm on the 'lesser side of the curtain', but reality is, it still hurts to hear.
Anyway, rather than the game against Al's team next Friday night, I'm looking forward to our Wednesday match-up against captain Cory and Stu's team. Watching Gav sweat through another workout should be entertaining as well *hehe*. Oh before I forget, if anyone has any ideas about topics for my 100th blog entry...I'd be all ears. Until next time, happy hucking!
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment