"You laid out
Got turf burn on your knees from it."
Embroiderer of Hankerchiefs - My soon-to-be favorite ultimate parody song
Ottawa was hit with frigid temperatures this week, which worked oh so well with the ongoing (never-ending) transit strike. Even though winter ultimate is played indoors, the chilling weather impacted the level of play as explained below.
- Instead of the early week Fish workout, I hit the gym on my own Monday and Tuesday. Let's face it, my pythons need to be fed ;-)
- With DGo out of the line-up, and Jenny-go-Leng replacing Lilyhammers and Tiesmen on my IID team, the Hammers experienced some "transitional difficulties" losing to former coaches GinnandJuice and Bowsdoesthisitch's team by a score about 19-15.
- Not using it as an excuse, but the cold really hurt the Hammers. The number of drops, especially those in the endzone, were triple the normal. How cold was it? Giddy-up warmed up in a ski jacket and toque. Hell, I was staying on the field for 3 and 4 point stretches just to keep warm.
- As a high-light, I accomplished my goal of shutting down Kennifer Langandtall on D. He didn't catch one point with me on him, and I made him work just for dump passes that lost yards.
- The second high-light of the game was trash-talking Golentements on our opponent's team. Since my background is basketball, and she's a field hockey gal, I knew she'd be down for a little junk talk between points.
- Low-light was not being able to step-up enough to compensate for DGo. Not to say I didn't rack up the offensive stats again this week. I knew I'd have to play at my highest level to make-up for DGo's absence, and I didn't reach that. Although ultimate is a team sport, I take sole responsibility for that loss. I had enough PT to be a difference maker, but wasn't.
- Michelle's ultimate fitness class on Thursday followed the typical pattern for me.
1. Didn't feel like going (the new job and carpooling is draining).
2. Hauled my ass to class to get my money's worth.
3. Had a couple of laughs during the class.
4. Walked out feeling fantastic (thank you endorphins!).
- The high-light of the class had to be Gav, who was supposed to be jogging at 50% for cool down, running at about 85% so he could snap people with a towel (one he surprisingly brought from home!).
- A couple of times during class, I found myself running next to Demonic Kwok. This has inspired me to create a rule: I will NOT race Damian in class…or ever.
- Read that team fees will increase by 17% this summer. Considering field fees went up by 50%, and the majority of OCUA's fields are city ones, 17% doesn't sound excessive. Of course my hammering idol MHJ thought otherwise.
- Finishing Move won our second game of the season on Friday against the Cleverest Everest. I had the score as about 19-16, but it's 25-19 in LeaugeWonder.
- The high-light of the game had to be the play of our supersubs Pistol Pete, Triple S, and...hmmm...need to think of a nickname....Layout Linds (?), The Thunder from Down Under (?), Lindseroo (?). Between the supersubs and AD'er John Nymancan'tbeatme, our offense was impressive.
- The low-light for Friday night was dropping 5 scores. As stated, the cold weather definitely got to me, as my hands were a nice shade of purple for most of the game. Complicating matters was my aching thigh (sports hernia acting up), and my lack of good sense to put on my damn receivers gloves that were in my bag *sigh*. Not my best effort...but, I'm glad FM won inspite of my ineptitude.
- Oh, on a happier note, I might be playing Snowplate this year. It sounds like a good time....even though it's in Sudbury :P
This week, I have to re-committ to my physio exercises, since my groin is giving me some issues. Also on the plate are a Wednesday game against Pistol Pete's undefeated squad, a Friday game against a yet to-be-named opponent(/victim), avoiding being towel snapped by Gavin, and....*drum roll* my 100th entry. It's drafted, but I'd like to go over it once before posting. While I'm downtown Thursday for class, I'm going to try to catch 'The Wrestler' at the Bytown. Here's hoping the temperature warms up, the bus strike ends, and my sports hernia miraculously heals *sigh*. Until next time, happy hucking!
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment